Rebecca Northcott Photography

Tuesday 22 December 2009

Love from the Orient...



Well if you know me well enough you will understand that I absolutely love oriental cultures pretty much China and Japan.  Most of all I love reading about the lives of Chinese people this year I bought a book from a pound shop and the Author Xinran was that good I bought more of her books and wow they are amazing.


Chinese and Japanese culture I have only skimmed the surface of. I have seen oriental blossoms - Geishas, parasols, home made medicines, characters, vibrant colours and so much more. The actual style and culture is amazing, I do know that all of their lives were not so glamorous and some went through so much hardship you cant even begin to know. 




I started young when I saw the Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan and that story captured me then I have searched over time and found the book "Memoirs of a Geisha" followed by the Mo vie. I noticed with the films I have seen they are not glamorized or over done. They just have a realistic quality and I like that. I think why I like their culture is because they are humble and kind and keep emotions private. I think in Britain that's a rare thing. When I once sang at a new Chinese members baptism (Agnes Dang Yeng) one of her friends Helen came up to me and told me in genuine kindness a beautiful sentence. " You voice is like a bird that is flying to heaven" How beautiful is that? Not to the fact of she liked how I sang but how it was described very very pictionary and that's the way I work I know they use images or pictures and the characters represent something. I love that way about them too, I love their tea ceremonies (I'm staying with the oriental styles not the country) their kimonos and their hair pieces and combs. 




I really hope one day I can go visit these places, I want to go visit Hong Kong Temple and hope one day China will have one. I miss the Chinese members who have been baptized over the years - they had difficulties like all of us but they handled them so well. Li Li, Nancy, Agnes, Helen and Tom we love you and miss you and where ever you are - we wish you well and that God be with you...


More recently I took an interest in Madame Butterfly and just saw the film version yesterday such a sad story but I know its true and that so many tender young girls hearts would of been broken...made me sad but the element I loved was Butterflys devotion to her husband the absolute love she had for him and waited for him day in and day out. Amazing quality! I'm thankful for her example...





So there you have it my oriental journey so far, I get to see the Chinese circus on the 28th which I'm excited about will have to post some photos on here. Yey I cant wait!!! They will tell the legend of the Monkey King. Watch this space...

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers